Course Type: Open course
Course Category: Aided
PE5OPT01 Physical Health and Life Skills Education
Introduction to Physical Education & Physical Fitness - Concept of Physical Education, Meaning, Definition, Aims and Objective of Physical Education, Need and Importance of Physical Education, Physical Fitness Components, Types of Fitness-Health related, Skill/Performance related, Activities for the development of physical fitness (Aerobic and Anaerobic). (20 Hours)
Health & Nutrition- Definition and meaning of Health, Dimensions of Health, Factors affecting Health, Major systems in human body ( Circulatory, Respiratory, Muscular and Skeleton Systems), Effects of Exercise on Body Systems ( Circulatory, Respiratory, Muscular and Skeleton Systems), Classification of nutrients – carbohydrate, protein, fat, minerals and vitamins, Balanced diet, Malnutrition, Dietary guidelines for healthy eating, Hypo -kinetic Diseases and their common causes, prevention and management ( Obesity, Diabetics & Hypertension, Osteoporosis), BMI. (20 Hours)
Human Body Type , First Aid & Yoga - Human body type (Ectomorph, Endomorph, Mesomorph), important of correct posture, Postural deformities(Kyphosis, Lordosis, Scoliosis, Knock knee,Bow legs, Flat foot, Text neck), Causes and corrective exercises. First Aid - Meaning definition and importance , Principles of First Aid ,Common injuries, emergencies and their management(Sprain, Strain, Fracture, Dislocation, Wound, Cuts, Drowning, CPR) Meaning, definition of Yoga. Need and importance of Yoga in the modern society, Benefits and effects of Asanas, Surya Namaskar. (16 hours)
Introduction to Sports & Games, Events and Awards - International- Olympic Games (winter, summer, Paralympics), Asian Games, Common Wealth Games, National- National Games, Santhosh Trophy, Ranji Trophy. Sports Awards- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Rethna Award, Dronacharya Award ,Arjuna Award and G.V Raja Award. Tournaments - Type of Tournament (Knock Out &League) (16 hours)
1. AAPHERD, Health related physical fitness test manual, Published by Association drive Reston Virginia:1980.
2. ACSM fitness book, Leisure Press Campaign, Illinoisis, Leisure Press, Canada: 1996. http://www.pitt.edu/gsphhome
3. Alice. C, Yoga for Sports. Chicago : CB :2002.
4. B.C. Rai, Health education and hygiene, published by Prakashan Kendra, Lucknow.
5. Birch, MacLaren, George, Sports and exercise physiology-instant notes, UK:BIOS scientific Publishers: 2005.
6. Corbin, Charles B et al, Concepts of fitness and wellness, Boston; McGraw Hill:2004.
7. Fahey, Insel, Roth, Fit and well, 6th Ed. Boston; McGraw Hill Co : 2004.
8. Fashey et al, Fit and well, New york ; McGrawHill Inc: 2005.
9. Frank, AM, Sports and Education, CA ; ABC-CLIO : 2003.
10. Greenberg, Dintiman, Oakes, Physical fitness and wellness, 3rd Ed. IL ; Human Kinetics:2004.
11. Iyengar, BKS, Light on yoga, Yoga Dipika, London ; UNWIN Paperbacks : 1980.
12. Jackson Sharman, Modern Principles of Physical Education, New York ; A.A. Barnes and Co.
13. Kamlesh, ML, Physical education facts and foundation, New Delhi ; P.B Publication : 1998.
14. Lussier and Kimball, Sports management-Principles, application, skill development, Ohio ; Thomson-South Western : 2004.
15. Michael, H, Sports injuries recognition and management, 3rd Ed. ; Oxford University press: 2001.
16. Norman Bezzant, Help! First aid for everyday emergencies ; Jaico Publishing House, Bombay.
17. Puri, K Chandra, Health and Physical Education, New Delhi ; Surjeet Publications : 2006.
18. Rob, James et al, Complete A-Z Physical Education Handbook, 2nd Ed ; Hodder and Stoughton England : 2003.
19. Tiwari, OP, Asanas why and how?, Lonavala : Kaivalayadham : 2002.
20. Uppal, AK, Principles of sports training, New Delhi ; Friends Publication : 2001.
21. Ziegler, EF, An Introduction to sports and Physical Education Philosophy, Delhi ; Sp.Educational Technology : 2007.
22. Goel, RG and Goel, Gaurav, Encyclopaedia of sports and games, 12th Ed.; Tarang paperbacks-Vikas publishing house PVT LTD, New Delhi: 1995